SAVANNAH, Ga. – The $276 million expansion of the Savannah Convention Center is on schedule and budget, according to officials.
As reported by local television station WTOC, more than 200,000 hours of work have gone into the project so far and 20 events are lined up for when the expansion is completed.
The article notes Sherrie Spinks, the convention center’s general manager, says bookings for the soon-to-be-expanded venue have not slowed down since June 2020 when COVID-related precautions were lifted.
The existing portion of the building remains open for events, and it is expected the convention center will have a record-breaking number of events in 2022. Spinks told WTOC events range from sporting events, national and regional conventions, trade shows, dance competitions, and banquets.
“You name it, we’re hosting,” she says.
After the expansion, the Savannah Convention Center will include:
– Two hundred thousand square feet of exhibit hall space
– A 58-foot-wide hangar door
– A new 40,000-square-foot ballroom
– Thirty-two customizable break-out rooms
– A nine hundred-space parking garage
– Additional outdoor space
– A new facility entrance with an all-glass façade