CHARLESTON, S.C. – In Charleston S.C., the city’s many historic buildings provide a glimpse into the past.
One example of this is The Cedar Room, located at the landmark Cigar Factory, which not only retains elements of the original space but celebrates the building’s historical elements.
Originally constructed in 1881 as a textile mill, the building was later purchased by the American Tobacco Company and operated from 1903 to 1973 producing RoiTan and Certified Creamo cigars. In 1980, The Cigar Factory was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. It has since housed warehouse space, Johnson & Wales Culinary School, and today, The Cedar Room, which features an industrial aesthetic with historic wood columns, reclaimed hardwood floors, and other original elements of the factory.
Rustic brick walls frame floor-to-ceiling windows that reveal an abundance of natural light and quintessential Lowcountry scenes, including the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge and the Cooper River. With 8,000 square feet of versatile indoor and outdoor event space, The Cedar Room offers a setting for celebratory occasions up to 550 guests, with an additional 150-180 seated in the courtyard. The food and beverage program, led by executive chef Tim Pettit, offers curated selections of hors d’oeuvres, stations, and seated dinner options.